A prime suspect in over 60 rape cases in Ekurhuleni Central, Gauteng Province, has been arrested by detectives at the South African Police Service (SAPS).
Security Watch Africa reports that the suspect was nabbed by a multidisciplinary task team comprising of various Components within the SAPS led by the Gauteng Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Investigations Detectives (FCS), the National Investigative Psychology Section (IPS) and the National Forensic Sciences Laboratory (FSL) Biology Section and Victim Identification Centre (VIC).
It was learnt that the multidisciplinary team which was established in April 2018 was assigned to investigate and apprehend the suspect who was believed to have been responsible for a spate of rape cases in the area.
According to the National Commissioner of SAPS, General Khehla John Sitole, the team had been hard at work in tracing and tracking down the suspect’s movements.
He said: “The team’s combined efforts culminated with the arrest of the suspect on March 17. Following his arrest, a DNA report linked to these rape cases which were reported as far back as 2012 in various policing precincts including Batho, Crystal Park, Daveyton, Etwatwa and Putfontein Police stations.
“Since his arrest, several victims have come forward with additional information to assist the team’s investigations. While the team is still hard at work in analysing the suspects Modus Operandi through the Investigative Psychology Section (IPS), the possibility of linking this suspect to additional cases cannot be ruled out at this stage.
“With the inclusion of the analysis of the Modus Operandi, the suspect could possibly be linked to approximately 40 other cases, thus bringing a total number of cases to nearly 100 cases against this alleged sexual offences perpetrator.”
Sitole added that the suspect appeared again in absentia before the Daveyton Magistrates Court on April 29. He stated that this is due to the fact that the suspect was shot and injured at the time when he was attempting to evade arrest on March 17, and the suspect is still in hospital under Police guard.
Stating that the successful apprehension and connection of the suspect to these cases displays the persistent efforts displayed by all involved, the Police boss said: “As SAPS management we applaud and commend the multidisciplinary team involved for their unrelenting spirit in putting a stop to the reign of terror that this suspect has subject the women in these areas to.
“The team has indeed displayed and deployed their meticulous investigation and analysis skills. We hope that this case will bring hope to many victims whose suspects are still on the radar of our members. We also hope that the communities we serve will appreciate our endeavours in the fight against sexual offences related crimes and work together with our members to apprehend more of these callous criminals.”