Two alleged members of Boko Haram, have been arrested by operatives of the South African Police Service (SAPS), in Mamelodi.
Security Watch Africa reports that the suspects, a man and a woman, both aged 37, were arraigned before the Mamelodi Magistrate Court on charges of theft, trespassing and fraud on Friay.
According to Gauteng Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela, police are investigating the culpability of the suspects as members of the infamous Boko Haram group that is accused of terrorising the communities and business people in and around Mamelodi.
Mawela said the arrest comes after intensified investigations by a multi-disciplinary team, following an appeal by the police for people to come forward and give statements that would substantiate cases that were reported.
“People came to assist with information that could lead to the apprehension of those perpetrators, who were holding the residents of Mamelodi to ransom.
“ To this end, an intelligence-led operation was launched and on Wednesday March 3, police detectives with support from the Combat and Reaction Team of Mamelodi, arrested the two suspects on allegations of illegal collection of monies from tenants at Inkandla Hostel in Mamelodi.
“ The pair has been remanded in custody pending their next court appearance on March 11, while a prosecutorial-led investigation is underway towards building a watertight case. The possibility of more arrests cannot be ruled out as police anticipate that more victims could come forward, ” he said.
Mawela urged the Tshwane multi-disciplinary team to continue with the good work until Boko Haram becomes a thing of the past, in the best interests of the people of Mamelodi.
The Provincial Commissioner also commended the positive response from the residents who, after police called for their cooperation, swiftly came forward and are now working closely with the SAPS to root out criminality in and around Mamelodi.
“With this kind of collaboration, we are optimistic that several cases relating to the Boko Haram, some dating as far back as 2018, would be cracked and the suspects duly apprehended and brought to book.
“ Those victims who withdrew their cases or previously refused to give statements or participate in identity parades, citing fear or intimidation by the Boko Haram, are encouraged to reconsider and reopen their cases so that the perpetrators get arrested and prosecuted,” the Commissioner admonished.